Sunday, September 16, 2012

Respect the Pouch

Finished Product!
If you have ever seen a commercial for Capri-Sun you will know that their slogan is "respect the pouch" often times they have kids like stepping on the juice pouch showing this "disrespect" my way of ruining the pouch was a little more creative than this. I made a bag from Capri-Suns, a project I got many compliments from. I used my bag for school and it held up pretty well, but I wouldn't advise carrying all of your heavy books in it.




You will need:
*Scissors
*A sewing machine
*Something for straps
*24 empty juice pouches (depending on how big you want your bag, more or less)

So to start it would be a good idea to drink all the juices I collected mine over time from friends who I sat with at lunch to get a nice variety of flavors. After acquiring all of the empty juices and a few extra's I got right to work. By cutting a small incision in the bottom of the juice pouch it made it easier to clean, I washed it out with soapy water and then proceeded to do all the others. Having the patience to let them dry was the hardest part for me.

Once dry smooth out and begin sewing, I sewed each pouch side by side across for the front and back then did a second row by sewing four more pouches together then sewing both strips together. The sides consists of four juices (2 by 2) and the bottom also 2x2. Deciding how to sew each side together was a challenge because normally you wouldn't want to see your seam. However, because the capri suns are stiff I choose to let my seam show making the corners stick out.

The Seam.

After all my sides were sewn together I patched up and holes by hand sewing them. Finally I added the straps, you could use ribbon but I found a thicker shinny material at Walmart that seemed to better fit my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment